Wednesday 2 January 2008

Comics review of the year 2008?

I’d do a review of 2007, but I can barely remember what I just ate* so a full rundown of all the new comics I’ve read this year would be a bit too much strain on my fragile mental skills. Instead this is what I’m looking forward to in the coming year in no particular order and with some inevitable holes which I’ll edit later -

RASL by Jeff Smith

A multi-dimensional noir piece is a bit of an off the wall choice for Jeff Smith, but who can say no to Jeff Smith (except, uh, Dave Sim)

Battling Boy by Paul Pope

Modern day hipster Kirby Paul Pope draws a book about a kid who beats up monsters.

Billy Batson and the Magic of Shazam by Mike Kunkel

The crazy loony toons style Silvana alone is worth the price of entry.

Zorro by Matt Wagner and Francesco Francavilla

I freaking love Zorro, and killer creative teams.

Final Crisis By Grant Morrison and J G Jones

I usually avoid crossover events like they’re spiders with bird flu, but I like Morrison, I’ve dug the stuff I’ve seen J G Jones do, and I think it’s meant to be self contained.

Kick ass by Mark Millar and John Romita Jr

Now I’m not a great Millar fan but: a) The Romita/Janson tag team of art bliss, b) I’m really in the mood for a comic where a guy puts on a mask and hits people he doesn’t like in the face with a stick, and c) the book’s called Kick ass.

Teen Titans: Year one by Amy Wolfram and Karl Kerschl

I have an inexplicable fondness for the first Teen Titans group and Kerschl’s art is dripping with awesome.

Northlanders by Brian Wood and Davide Gianfelice

Admittedly issue one of this already came out, but this sounds like it’ll work really well in trade.

Luke Cage by Genndy Tartakovsky

Sweet Christmas this is right on so many levels.

Freak Angels by Warren Ellis and Paul Duffield

Sound's like a really classy concept from Ellis, and Duffield is good people.

Skin Horse By Shaenon K. Garrity and Jeffrey Channing Wells

Narbonic remains one of my favourite things ever, and this has all the hall marks of that, but with angora!

Tiny Titans by Art Baltazar and Franco Aureliani

Look at them! How can you say no to that!

New Frontier Special by Darwyn CookeI did so love New Frontier, if only DC would let him do more…

New York Four by Brian Wood and Ryan Kelly

When I bought an old copy of one of the same creative team's Local comic the guy behind the counter pointed out that it was the greatest single issue of any comic book ever. I might not go that far but still pretty damn good.

Water Baby by Ross Campbell

Campbell's much delayed Minx book. On a side note I wonder just how many teenage girl's read the Minx books?

East Coast Rising vol. 2 by Becky Cloonan

Waterworld would have been a far better movie if a giant squid with a skull for a head had attacked a load of hipster pirates half way through, but then so would every movie, imagine how much better Pretty Woman would have been?

Flight Explorer by various

It's Flight but for kids, even though the normal Flight is pretty much for kids. It doesn't really matter when a new Copper strip is going to feature.

*This is a lie it was a chunk of Dairy Milk.

1 comment:

Potato Recipes said...

Thanks for sharinng