Monday 17 September 2007

Anime Central: Snap Judgements

anime central is a new channel on digital offering those Japanese cartoons the kids love for the UK, based on previous ventures to do the same I give it about 4 months. The channel itself is a no thrills affair with endless repeating trailers for the shows and some tacky idents. So far, so inevitable, but what of the opening line up of shows? Well I've not really watched any of them particularly before, but we're two or three episodes in so let's see what we've got.

The Vision of Escaflowne - Fun enough if you've got a high tolerance for 90's cheese and decidedly funky (negative funk that is) character design.

Bleach - Seems to be generic pap, occasional comedy kicking isn't enough to keep me. It's not very pretty either, but it's got a nice logo, so there's that.

Fullmetal alchemist - I always wondered why this was so insanely popular, now I wonder why it's popular at all.

Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex - Despite the soul crushing terror of the CGI cars, I'm quite enjoying it. The Cyberpunk swat team/police procedural sub genre makes for a fun little show. And of course Yoko Kanno.

Planetes - Is lovely, pretty much what I look for in anime. I wonder if it can live up to my platonic ideal for 26 episodes.

Transformers Headmasters - I'm going to bed.


Three out of six ain't bad. In three weeks or so we'll see some new shows (unless they just repeat the current ones that is) where upon you'll learn my ill informed opinions on some of the other shows they've got lined up including Hack/Sign, Gundam Seed, s-CRY-ed, and Witch Hunter Smithy.

No comments: